My Dear Family,
(I got on his case about not writing his grandparents yet, it’s been two months) To be honest, I was expecting some fire from you. (We use the word "fire" for like chastise, it is just another one of those mission culture words). I know how you are, but I did not want to not tell you. Trying to work out my schedule has been difficult, but my Father in Heaven has been helping me out. I have been writing a lot of letters trying to respond to everyone. I am not finished with all of them, but I think I am supposed to give them to my Zone leaders and I will see them tomorrow, so even if I am not done I will send them out tomorrow, okay?! :)
There was a baptism for three people. We did a lot of praying and decided the [family we have been teaching] were not ready. We will be preparing them for November. We were planning for four to be baptized, but part member girl did not show. We have been struggling with this family. The mom was baptized awhile ago and my companion baptized the two daughters last transfer. We have been having troubles with them because of them not showing for the younger daughters baptism and we found out that they have been going to another church. My companion is close to this family and my heart is going out to them and my companion.
The baptism was really good though! It was combined with two other areas. One had six and the other had two. 11 baptisms in total. The three from our area are: “member one”, “member two”, and “Member three” (changed names to protect them). Member one is powerful. He has been very excited for baptism and when we saw him after the baptism he was asking how he could become a missionary! He has a great desire to share what he has learned. Member two, I was worried about at first, but after he started coming to church and seminary he become really powerful! Member three is the sister to a ward missionary we have been working with. His name is “A” and he got to baptize his sister. I was happy for both of them.
My heart has been out to you guys this past week. I knew it was going to be hard. (our best friends moved away) I have prayed much for you and I hope you have felt some comfort. I encourage you to just be involved. Especially with the Lord. You all need to come together as a family. Continue to pray together and read scripture together. Just a suggestion, but I think you should look at the intro to the Hymn book, the part that talks about "the Hymns in the Home." I noticed it talked about singing together and how it can strengthen families. I thought that you may want to try it out.
(Sorry, just curious, do I have a missionary blog?)
I bought it, the drive, right before I came to email. I will do my best to send pictures to you. I just want to do this as a back up. If something happens...it happens. I am not worried. I just want to make sure I am trying everything I can to save the memories.
ToJordan : I am glad you are having some fun and good times in your trials. Please find all the joy you can and look for your Savior my brother. I thought you might like some of the money. I am sending some coins and bills/notes to you. I hope you get them all. There are two different Zimbabwe dollars and I sent both. There are the actual dollars and then there are bearer cheques. I hope that you will find comfort and I hope you get my letter. I love you brudda!
Ha Ha! Rachel, I love you! I hope she is having fun and doing okay. I made her a little something and I hope it gets to her okay. So I think I told you about sadza already, but if not I am telling you now. Sadza is like "the food" ofZimbabwe . I have had it many times and I have grown to love it! It looks like mashed potatos, but it has like no flavor and you eat it with your hands! Ha Ha! It is like white play-dou that you eat. I am going to learn how to make it and I will come home and make you an authentic Zimbabwe meal! :)
The Lord really is amazing. He prepares his children so well. I have noticed that we do not find these dear souls, but they find us. I will share one example: Tuesday, we were having interviews with President Dube after district meeting. He arrived late and the interviewing took forever. It actually took most all of our day. My companion and I were the last to be interviewed. While I was being interviewed a man showed up. His name is “J” and he said that while he was at someones home he started reading from a book. He said he thought it was a Liahona (later we found out it was a Gospel Principles book). He said he knew it was true and he wanted to learn more. He was told to go to the chapel. So here he comes to missionaries being interviewed. They had a quick lesson with him and gave him a Book of Mormon (this was all happening while I was in the interview). My companion set an appointment to see him. When we had the lesson with him during the week he was just accepting everything. He said he knew everything was true. He was asking us about baptism and church service before we could even invite him. He came on Sunday and we are really excited for this Bubba.
To
Ha Ha! Rachel, I love you! I hope she is having fun and doing okay. I made her a little something and I hope it gets to her okay. So I think I told you about sadza already, but if not I am telling you now. Sadza is like "the food" of
The Lord really is amazing. He prepares his children so well. I have noticed that we do not find these dear souls, but they find us. I will share one example: Tuesday, we were having interviews with President Dube after district meeting. He arrived late and the interviewing took forever. It actually took most all of our day. My companion and I were the last to be interviewed. While I was being interviewed a man showed up. His name is “J” and he said that while he was at someones home he started reading from a book. He said he thought it was a Liahona (later we found out it was a Gospel Principles book). He said he knew it was true and he wanted to learn more. He was told to go to the chapel. So here he comes to missionaries being interviewed. They had a quick lesson with him and gave him a Book of Mormon (this was all happening while I was in the interview). My companion set an appointment to see him. When we had the lesson with him during the week he was just accepting everything. He said he knew everything was true. He was asking us about baptism and church service before we could even invite him. He came on Sunday and we are really excited for this Bubba.
You know, I work and I work, but is always the Lord makes things happen. It is funny. He has already done all the work, but He requires us to work before we get something. I love you wonderful people and I hope things will start to go better for you. Tell grandma and grandpa I love them and that I hope they get my letter to them soon. Give my cat a hug and a kiss for me. Rachel, stay awesome. Be good to each other and your Father in Heaven.
Love Elder (Jake) Haltom
Keep the Faith
Love Elder (Jake) Haltom
Keep the Faith
At the Khami Ruins
Jake and Elder Hales
At the Khami Ruins
No comments:
Post a Comment