Thursday, September 15, 2011

It's official - Jake's on the wall!

Bishop, Bro Hadley, Jake, Pres Miller, Bro Seegmiller, & Josh right after Jake was set apart as a missionary


Our stake presidency has a wall in their conference room where they display all of the current missionaries in the stake.  They meet in that room weekly and pray for every single one of those missionaries until they return home safely.  Jake was set apart in that room the night before he left for his mission; he entered that room a teenager and left that room set apart as an official missionary.

Waiting to be set apart; Jake, Jordan, Rachel, Josh, and Bishop Watkins


It had been a couple of weeks after Jake had left and he was in his final week at the MTC.  We were feeling a little sad missing Jake, so on a Thursday night Jordan, Rachel and I (mom) stopped by the Stake Center to see if they had posted Jake's photo there yet.  We were greeted by Brother Seegmiller and he told us that he had just posted his photo that week.  We asked if we could see it, and he said of course we could!  As I walked into that room the events from two weeks prior flooded back over me; it was a lot more emotional that I had anticipated it would be.  And then I saw him - Jake's huge smile looking back at me.  It was official!  He made it to the wall.

Jake's mission picture on the Stake Presidency wall, center photo


I felt peace leaving that room; I knew that those men in that stake office were mindful of my son.  I also knew that millions of members over the world were praying for him, and many in our own ward were also praying for him.  We pray for him every morning and night (and sometimes more often than that!) I also knew that my Father in Heaven was mindful of my son, and was watching over him and keeping him safe while my son did His work.  That Thursday evening was a very good evening. :)
At the Stake Center right before Jake was set apart 8/29/2011
Jake and Jordan waiting to set Jake apart as a missionary
Rachel entertaining herself while we waited
Elder Jacob Haltom, an official missionary!

No comments:

Post a Comment