Tuesday, April 2, 2013

September 10, 2012 in Zimbabwe, Mutare Sakubva Companion: Elder Brewster from AZ

My Dear and Beloved Family,

My week was a blessing. I will explain later. The whole week I have been catching up in writing in my journal. Because of what happened I had not written Tuesday up to Friday. I have caught up all the way to Saturday, so i thank Father in Heaven for providing that time to write for me. Honestly, my memory is fuzzy from the week, but I have new determination for this week. 

Sister Houges (new senior couple missionary) was trying to show me a video of the Brigham City Temple when I was in the mission office in Harare. The video was not working, but I was reminded of you and that you would be going.

Sister C did not come to church because she was bitten by a dog and the injury would not allow her to walk to church. Here we have to buy airtime to use the phone. When i had to buy a new phone we had no airtime and our leaders kept saying they would get us airtime, but would not. As for the landlord, we rent our house and some of the things in it are not ours, so she was just collecting some of her things, like a headboard, table, junk, etc. I am POWERFUL! All I really need is that cash to buy the leather stuff, but you already told me that Elder Dragon will have it.

This week was very interesting for sure. Ha Ha! The week was full of spiritual experiences and miracles. I know that the Lord's hand is in full effect of our lives. Do we take the time to "count every blessing?" If you do I think you will understand me when I say that no telestial number can count the number of blessings in a single day. Yo! The Lord does to much and we recognize to little.
Wednesday past by very smoothly. It was a nice day. We had contacted a POWERFUL referral and taught POWERFUL lessons, but upon the arrival of our home and the close of our day chaos lurked upon the night. My companion discovered he had had money stolen and the moments following I witnessed the spirit of the devil at work. I could feel a cold presence. I remained quiet while harsh words were said and fingers pointing her and there. Trust was lost and the chant of "where is my money" filled the air. The amazing thing to me was that even though I could feel the presence of the evil one and that so much was going on around me I felt peace. I felt a burning in my chest and the comforting arms around me. I calmly explained that I had not known about any stolen money and that he needed to listen to his mission president. I even took the time to sit down with him and calmly discuss the situation and help him understand the best solution was to talk to president. 
Not only had my companions money been stolen that night, but mine as well. I discovered it upon going to bed. Again, I felt the peace. It was okay with me. I am in no need of money. I already have my support. The experience reminded me of Helaman 5:12. If you build your house upon the rock (meaning Jesus Christ) you cannot fall. Because my companion built a foundation on his money he was upset. Because my foundation is Christ the Lord I could not fall. I felt peace. The spirit of the Lord was with me Wednesday night. I pray that I may always look to him.
The very next day was a spiritual experience to me. I was asked to travel to Harare with Elder K. The ride was painful (I cramp when sitting for more than an hour) and Father in Heaven answered a prayer. He provided a break when I was in desperate need of one, but that was not the spiritual experience. My spiritual experience that day was when my mission president looked me in the eye and told me I could do better. He shared with me that I had done exactly what he wanted me to do and that I was a good missionary, but the thing that stuck out to me is that he told me he saw in me the potential to become better than what I am. That was a message from my Father who is in Heaven. I need to do better.
So my new companion, Elder Brewster, and i have already had some POWERFUL experiences together. Our first lesson together was one of them. We went to an appointment with Sister C. What was so cool was that as soon as we opened with a prayer she asked us, "Can I ask you a question?" As missionaries we love it when people ask us questions so our response was, "of course!" She then began to explain that missionaries had taught her before, but she did not want to leave her church and she was comfortable where she is. She gave us her need right there! The spirit had already begun to work in her. We started sharing scripture about how we are asked to do uncomfortable things. We shared the experience of the young rich man who was asked to sell all he had. We even shared how Christ did not want to drink the bitter cup, but he drank to do the will of the Father. We shared the restoration and asked her to pray. She said that she would.
Another experience was when we found someone be the name of Sister G. She looked oddly familiar to me. I realized when we started the lesson that this was the first person I had taught in Mutare. My very first lesson was with this girl. What?! She looked different than before and she was now staying with a member. We shared with her Doctrine of Christ and she accepted an invitation for baptism. This Sunday she came to church. When we were teaching the investigator class about tithing I noticed she was paying very close attention. Now, after class finished she came up to my companion and asked if she could ask a question. He said yes, but she seemed unsure and then asked if she could ask in the hall. When they went into the hall she asked, "What do I need to do to be baptized?" Yo! And it did not end there. Our branch president met her and introduced her to the young women. At the end of the service she was surrounded be friends laughing and talking. POWERFUL day! 
We even were able to meet with Brother ***(one of the college guys) and had a POWERFUL lesson with him. We reviewed what we had taught him before and he shared with us that he "has no reason or doubt not to join this church." He shared his testimony of the Book of Mormon and how he came to know that the gospel, church, Joseph Smith being a prophet, and the Book of Mormon being true. This Sunday he was also at church.

Sister L was also able to make it to church. President C even took her and her mom to see how they can help them out. He even talked with Brother L and Sister T about how the branch can visit them and help them with their marriage. 
This whole week was a blessing. Miracles and spiritual experiences at every corner. I am excited for whatever else the Lord may have in store for us. I love this gospel and this work. Thank you.
p.s. I think I already told you, but I was with Elder Dragon Thursday night. We staid up talking for quite awhile. That was another personal blessing direct from Father in Heaven.

I bet that Rachel is loving school for sure! Ha Ha! I get to take her to school when I come home! I hope grandma is doing okay. What our dear cousins are doing is not cool, but the spirit of the Lord will not always dwell with man. The must suffer the consequences of apostacy, but I hope that light may enter their lives before it is too late. Tell Grandma that i love her. Grandpa as well.

I am so excited for Kylee! Tell her that I say "Makorokoto! Maita Zhakanaka!" (Congratulations! You have done a good thing!)

It seems that Grandpa is facing some trials. I will see if I can send him a letter to help him out. Please tell Aunt Ruth that I say, "Hello!" and that I will be praying for her. If she is endowed she has nothing to worry about if she is keeping her covenants. Also tell her that I love her and thank her for all that she has done for me. 

I love you all so very much. You are a blessing to me. I am also not speaking just to my family. Everyone who has ever known me I must thank you for helping me. I love you.

Keep the Faith

L O V E with a lot of L O V E
Elder TOM

No comments:

Post a Comment